Hopefully summer holidays and travelling is beginning to be
top of mind. Looking forward to the holiday can be tainted by the thought of travelling,
but getting there should be part of the fun. So finding something to do on a journey, whether
it’s keeping occupied while travelling or taking the tedium out of waiting
around, is key.
Nowadays we use our phones for all sorts of amusements and games,
but to go back to basics with ‘real’ activities or games, what do we need to consider?
Doesn’t matter if you’re flying or going by car it’s always
weight and/or space.
Take things that can be folded or don’t take up much room in
luggage, are lightweight, and that are easy to bring out a use quickly and don’t
need a load of time to set us. Also think
about flexibility with a mix of games that could involve a lot of people, or to
play solo. And finally not too many bits
in the game to lose!
Flat items can be used either as a lap activity in the car
or on the plane’s fold down table, such as colouring books, dry wipe boards and
Try these activities and games …..
- Water wow activity book – water only so no mess, the pages
go back to plain to use again and again.
- Dominoes – played all round the world, join together and find
- Travel games in a tin – What Am I game like Animal,
Vegetable and Mineral with loads of suggestions.
- Magnetic travel games – easy to put in hand luggage and
closes to keep the pieces safe, choose chess, sea battle or snakes and ladders.
- Small box games – fast and furious 10 Up, or quick thinking Fast
- Scratch art - flat and easy to do creative activity for wet
days and quiet time.
- Dry wipe board abc and numbers – double sided with plain and
an activity, lightweight, use dry wipe pens for colouring and drawing, practising
letters and numbers, playing games such as hangman or noughts and crosses
- Colouring books adult and kids – quiet time for kids,
mindfulness for adults!
- Books – light weight fabric baby books with peek a boo and
crinkles, children’s musical and flip flap books.
- Travel activity – take binoculars, a compass and battery
operated headlight to be the adventurer, or use travel snap cards to learn easy
first words in 4 languages English, French, Spanish and Italian.
- Inflatables – world globe to see where you’re going to or track
where you’ve been, inflatable pool toys like swimming balls, rings and armbands,
sword play set, or shark game.
- Tantrix table top game of linking colours – choose the
game set in a bag which has 5 different games with over 30 puzzles games solo
or for up to 4 players.
- Playing cards - snap with various themes for children or
adults - and standard cards to play myriad of traditional games like Whist, Pontoon,
Solitaire and Patience, or even Canasta.